It's done. My PB for the 10km distance has been re-newed.
Got to West End super early for the Brisbane Road Runners Club 20/10/5km run.
Had hubby and kids up at 4.30am to have breaky and get dressed. Not impressed! They dropped me off and decided to go get supersized and the paper as well as it was an hour before I was due to start.
Walked around and went to the toilet about 8 times, did two warm up runs - one with Tess and one with Daniel. Only quick 1km runs with some stretching at the end.
Saw Tess and the others head out for their 20km at 6am. I was due to start at 6:30am so had some more walking and toilet stops. I so have to get rid of the bad race nerves I get.
Too soon it was time to line up. Not a huge crowd but I was there for me today. This run would determine what my goal for Canberra would be. I was really hoping for 46:30 finish. That would be 4:40kms with a final sprint km.
A good run in the humidity, I felt great running but could tell by the copious amounts of sweat that it was humid. My CR cap was comfy as usual but my head started to get a bit hot towards the end. I think I would have had to wet my head if I was doing the 20km run distance today.
I found it hard to drink water today. Even though I was sweating so much I didn't want to get another stitch after I got rid of one I had for the first 3km, so I tried to sip some water but it wasn't a happening thing. Ended up avoiding the water table on the last lap and then topped up heaps when I finished.
I felt strong but slow for most of the race. I could not believe 4:40pace was hurting me so much. Got to the 7km mark and think I even groaned out loud. By the time I got to the 8km mark I was smiling again...I was nearly home.
Unfortunately about this time some heavy breathing, foot stomping git decided to sit on my shoulder. I felt really penned in turning the corner with him just right there and not keeping his distance. We were close enough to be sweating on each other!
I sped up and so did he, slowed down and so did he. Eventually he dropped off and I was in my own space again.
With about 500m to go I heard footsteps gear up again and shuddered, only this time they were gentle and fast. It was Krishna Stanton. I was amazed that I had been ahead of her the whole time. I said hello and she said hello back. Then proceeded to ask me "how was I feeling" I think my inability to answer her whilst we both picked up the pace was answer enough.
I honestly believe she was pacing me to the finish. When I let her pass she slowed down, so I dug deep and got in front then she just sat on my shoulder and pushed me all the way home to a sprint finish.
I didn't do my race plan. Lost it somewhere in the 7-9km's but was still happy to finish in 47mins. That's 3mins and 19seconds off my previous PB.
It was all very exciting and I was very tired but imagine my suprise when they called out the top three lady finishers - I came third. Wow Podium finish. Kids were very proud. Hubby just expected it. Said I came first in effort. They had obviously forgotten the early start in the midst of all the finishing runners :BIGGRIN:
Had coffee with a large number of CR's and other runners in west end before heading home to spend some time with the kids (ie. cleaning the pool) and working (posting to CR).
Thanks to everyone who reads my blog for all your support and comments that have got me my PB today. Thanks to Tesso especially for believing in me and calming my nerves the night before.
13 comments:
Brilliant Clarie! Just brilliant!You have worked very hard and today's effort was proof of that. Pat will be very proud of you, as we all are. Canbeerra is looking really good for you. There will be no humidity to hold you back.
Congratulations Clairie!
PBs are always good, and this was a biggy. Way to go!
Congrats! I could see by your face at the end that you earnt every single bit of that time *grins*
You and Tesso inspire me no end!
Clairie, I'm so happy for you. But gee, now you do have me worried - I'm gonna have to ask Pat for some extra tips!
Very well raced today, you sure looked fast too dressed all in black.
And such a privelege to have had the company of a Commonweatlth Games silver medalist for some of the journey. Something to tell your kids about ... oh, that's right, they saw it ;-)
How great does it feel when all the hard work pays off!
Clairie, damn good job!
Wow you should be really moving in another month or so for the Canberra 10km!
Congratulations on such a big PB, it is great to see all of the hard work in training pay off.
You go girl! What a great run!
Over 3 minutes off your previous PB. There is no stopping you at the moment.
It's great to see you get such a great result after all the hard work you've put in.
I'm looking forward to cheering you on in Canberra when you take another chunk off that 10km PB.
Sensational effort Clairie, congratulations !
Fifteen comments Clairie! Should I add one of my own? This page is getting way too long! And, a comment from new blogger Plu!
I'm thinking you have a sub-45 in you for Canberra. Practise running fast on gentle hills though as it's not a dead-easy 10k course.
A version 3 colour scheme for T and C. Nice and bright!
Thanks for the report - it is truely inspirational. Over 3 minutes off your PB! - WOW - that is awesome! Congrats!!
Sorry
Post a Comment