Thursday, November 17, 2005

Decision Made

Halfway, between a rep I yelled out to Tesso "that's it, I'm giving up Wednesday night coaching". She was obviously feeling it too as she totally agreed with me. In fact she had got in first and handed her notice in last night.

How funny - a mass walkout of (amateur) coaches! All because we want to run harder/more.

Seriously though, to do a speed session on Tuesday, then coaching on Wednesday night, then back to Pats for speed again on Thursday - makes for tired legs and not a good speed session!! I was certainly feeling it today. Just felt really slack and could not find a top gear. My HR was up to 180 though so obviously I was working it and my body was just overtired.

Coaching is tough. You don't just stand there and yell at people, you are constantly moving - doing individual sessions with them, meaning you are running really fast to push the faster ones and way slower than you would normally to run with the slower runners. Both make me very susceptible to injury. So I officially announce that it is all over for my coaching career - well at least until I get a few marathons under my belt!

So talking about injuries guess who felt the pain of this mornings session in her shins??????????? Me. Damn it. I have never had shin pain before but they are very sore to touch and the pain today - for the first time - was sharp. I iced immediately as I only got the pain on the end of the warm down jog.

Any suggestions for getting rid of them? I would have to be out like Matty or get stressy's like Jodi so any advice would be welcome.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh no. So sorry to hear about your shin pain this morning Clairie. For me, the trick is lots of ice and lots of calf strengthening exercises and calf stretches.

When did you last do some calf raises? Jodi sent me a great link on shin problems & exercises. I'll forward it to you.

Good luck - fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

J.

2P said...

I understand your frustration Clarie - nearly all of my major injuries have been incurred through volunteer coaching (not running). Good on you though for having given up the time you have.

Yeah and ice :-) but don't forget the other ingredients of RICE - they are important too :-)

Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Cirque said...

What the others said....and don't forget the Glad wrap.

Tamyka Bell said...

I never use ice because my injuries calcify very nicely. Then I suffer through months of excrutiating massage trying to break it up. I hate being a freak.

Anyway, RICE for the first 24-48 hours. Then heat and massage. For your shins... here's my non-pro freakazoid advice:

(1) if it's compressional pain you likely need new shoes, especially if they're starting to feel unresponsive (I had this problem in Asics) - by the time they feel flat they're often quite far gone.

(2) if it's torsional pain then sometimes parts of the shoe collapse first (forefoot for me in one pair of shoes) and you start noticing the twists that tight glutes or something might cause; solution for this one is new shoes and stretching any muscles that pull you in a funny direction. Water running is a good way to identify weird foot flicking etc that may be linked to shin pain.

(3) this one has worked for me the past few years - massage! Scott grabs at my tibialis anterior and pulls it away from the tibia... okay think of it as instead of rubbing up and down your leg, you want to pull the muscle sideways across the leg. You can start right on the bone if it's not too painful. You can work the medial side of the bone too, which gets the calf muscles.

Robert Song said...

Injury is often your body's way of telling you it is not coping with the pressures you are putting on it. Three speed sessions in three days is a heavy load especially if you do it week in and week out.

Some people's bodies may be able to take that sort of training, others maybe not. Prevention is the best medicine. My advice would be to rethink your training regime to find something that works for you. It looks like you are starting to do that already with ending the coaching session.

Good luck and speedy recovery.