Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Monumentous Mountain Miracle

Like the crazy people we are a group of us met up at the carpark at Mount Cootha this morning for a 5am start.

After the obligatory photo shoot (thanks Tess) it was off straight up the mountain.

Wow! I told myself to get to the top quickly so the pain in my legs and lungs would disappear.Doesn't quite work like that.....
Nick was cruising past me, then slowing down, then going past - which was driving me insane as it was a mental effort to get past him each time only to have him go past me shortly afterwards.

It was easy to see those who had done a hard speed session at Pat's yesterday as they were finding the hill tougher than me - who had to opt out due to my son's flight. hence my legs had a day of rest :)

Got to the top and it was such a good feeling. The rest of the run just went by in a blur.

We got back to the carpark in 53 mins of running. Not bad. Had a quick toilet stop and said goodbye to those who were heading off to work/home.
Had a crazy time with a stick. I didn't see it but must have stepped on it wrong and it kicked up and hit me in the leg - causing a great bruise and blood!!! Gross.
Didn't really bother me until we started going downhill - then the pressure was quite achy.

Tess and I were the only two who had chosen to go up again - good ole faithful Tess. Will do any run anywhere anytime. :) She tore up the second hill whilst I got halfway and *walked* for a bit, then ran, then walked, then ran to the top. Finally got there.

The rest of the way we kept the pace up. Tess was awesome - she kept talking the whole way and I just nodded and breathed heavy where appropriate. I was concentrating on every word she said to ignore my dead legs but had no energy to keep up my end of the conversation. I am going to aim to be able to run & talk the whole way twice before I do Canberra! Won't that be a goal worth achieving. Will need to find a special topic to discuss.
Tess you are a legend and a tremendous help to my running!!

Thanks so much to everyone who ran with me with morning. Was heaps of fun and can't wait to do it again - though an email from Pat telling me what I have to do tommorrow morning with him has me regretting that last lap a little :)

4 comments:

2P said...

Sounds like a great run Clarie - as Lao Tzu would say:

To view the plain, first you must scale the mountain.

Bugger about the stick - don't cha hate it when that happens?

As for running and talking - I can't do it... I'm a bloke - can only concentrate on one thing at a time :-)

Tesso said...

Clairie, you are a little legend.

Ah, it was easy for we slackers behind you to blame Tuesday's speed session for falling behind you and Nick. But you really were powering up that hill, and I don't think we would've kept up with you even if we'd tapered for a week.

Thanks for suggesting we head out for the second, I was ready to bail after the first. And all the talking ... well, that was to take my mind off my own pain. Glad it helped you too. Your turn next time ;-)

PS That was the best impersonation of a snake I have ever seen a stick do :-)

RunDave said...

Haven't been to your blog for a while. Love the 'new' banner.

I love running and talking, it's a great way to know that I'm not going too hard on a long run.

At least with the stick injury you can show people a visible sign of a running injury to get sympathy.

Cirque said...

OMG! You can do that AND talk!
You truly are a legend Clairie!