Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Thanks Pat!!

Jogged the warm up over to New Farm - approx 3km. It was hot and humid already and I was covered in sweat by the end of the warm up. Thank goodness I had taken a water bottle.

Pat had his camera out today so the strides were a bit slack as everyone was going slow to avoid having a photo taken.

All too soon it came time to be off. Pat gave us a really good pep talk and said "this is what you have come for, don't just glide through the session, put in the effort and reap the reward. Work Hard". Have no idea why he was looking at me when he said that. Just because I WAS going to glide through an easy session. Oh well....

Set out to do 8 x 1min efforts with 45sec recovery. The first two I was cruising past everyone I normally run with and thought 'wow' this is slowish pace - and I was up the front of the pack. But obviously it caught up to me on the third one where I started to hurt. Pat's words rang in my ears and I was determined to get to the same spot each time - meaning putting in a harder effort to get there each time.

It was hurting so much. Mainly my face. Weird I know but my face was full of blood and I knew I was bright red. I sipped on some water towards the end and then had to work extra hard to catch up to Tesso and they had taken off whilst I was putting my water bottle down.

Pat was very vocal this morning cheering us all on. Telling us to chase the person in front and work it right to the end. It was painful to hear at the time, but very beneficial.

Pat was giving a Runners World Subscription to the person who worked the hardest. He nominated 4 people out of the group (yipee I was one) and then the group choose from them at the end of the session.

I wasn't running harder for the prize, I was running harder because Pat pointed me out and therefore I felt everyone was watching me and how I was running. Strange feeling but it worked. I put in a very decent effort. My legs are telling me so now :)

Jogged the 3km back to the start and I think I will be spending all week in recovery!!!!

5 comments:

Ewen said...

Well done for 'working hard' Clairie! Good old Pat. Now you can enjoy reading him in Runner's World. Congrats on being voted by your peers as the winner!

Clairie said...

oooh no Ewen I didn't win. Someone else did! I forgot to mention that!! :)

Nicky from the group one. We all had to cheer for the person we thought had worked well. I cheered hard for Nicky - she really deserved it!

Tesso said...

Clairie, you cheered as hard as you ran and that's why Nicky won the prize - so thoughtful of you :-)

It was obvious from the word go you were really pushing it , definitely one of the stand out performers. And as much as I like your company it was great to see you disappear into the distance on every rep - well done!

Maybe I should get Pat to look at me next time he says something like that ;-)

Tamyka Bell said...

I'm continually impressed at how hard you guys work. I just cruise through my sessions... I justify it on the basis that I'm not aiming to peak for another six years or so ;) but it's probably just laziness!

2P said...

Sounds like a good session Clarie - as Lao Tzu said "when the student is ready the master will appear" - maybe you were ready! :-)