Got up early Tuesday and felt great so headed out to Pats group for the 3km Time Trial that is held on the first Tuesday of every month.
I got there just as everyone was leaving. We did the 3km warmup and I felt really good. As I had no expectations on today I had no nerves and my legs and body were feeling really good. Because of this I actually thought I could do a PB or at the very least a sub 12.
So after a few strides to warm the legs up I was building in confidence. Then Jodi comes up and says " just take your watch off and smash yourself". Well I wasnt taking the watch off but I choose to not look at it until I finished. As for the smash yourself remark - that was the plan.
The first km went by so slowly and people started to pass me. I did this in 4min and at the turn around knew I couldn't push myself. My legs were dragging on the ground and despite my head and arms really wanting this....the legs just refused to budge.
So instead of looking like a contender for a wheelchair rally I decided to help those who needed some encouragement.
Steve and Andy were both coming up behind me when I turned for the second time so I stopped and waited for them and then pushed them home all the way. Steve did a massive 1min PB. Said he had no idea he had it in him. Andy was 1sec out of his PB but what was more amazing was that he was 30sec behind schedule at the 2km mark....that means he ran FASTER THAN HE EVER HAS BEFORE to get home. He was pretty wrapped with that and I am sure now they know what they are capable of next time they will be pushing themselves that little bit more.
It was good to see so many others also do well. Tara with a PB of sub 12 for the first time and Anna Bligh with a massive PB. Well done to everyone!!!
So all up it was a very rewarding run. The cooldown was a pleasant way to unwind the legs but they were still protesting all the way home!!
6 comments:
Gee - cant understand why Clairie ;-)
What were you thinking???
Did you contemplate a slow recovery run first up after Saturday's effort?
All this marathon training makes any form of speed work VERY difficult! Just keep in mind our ultimate goal! Great effort though... I would be happy with 4 min km's :-)
It is great to help others out, sometimes more rewarding than getting a pb or close to it yourself.
Congratulations on Saturday, very inspiring to see someone come from feeling as sick as you and continue to run and run well. A great effort and well deserved :)
I saw Pat's website today with the list of PBs and near PBs - amazing! Though it wouldn't have looked so impressive if you hadn't have been there to egg a few people on. What a wonderful thing to do for your team mates.
Well done on getting those PB's for the others. You must be very intimidating! I bet the speed will come - its just not time for it yet.
Post a Comment