Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sunday BRRC 20km Race (30km for the day)

Friday I took off because I was travelling to Sydney and felt crap.

Saturday I still felt crap...and tired...but got up (arrived home late Fri) and met the Running Buddies at 6am. Tess was feeling similar to me so we agreed for an easyish 10km run.
I felt shocking for the first 5km. Actually this didn't improve until 500m from the end when I saw the finish LOL. Tess surged ahead and finished strongly and despite me doing this on every single run I just did not have the heart and plodded along. 10km = 50min spot on. Did a negative split though as we went out at 5:15pace.

Today I was very anxious. Not about time but about feeling. I just wanted to love my running again and enjoy being out there with everyone. The warm up 5km with Tess went quickly but I can't say I enjoyed it or felt good.

We were back at the start for the 20km race with plenty of time and I had a quick toilet break whilst Tesso did another few km. I must mention that I was experimenting with Endura today and had 700ml of it when I woke up this morning - in case it was really humid out there. I also had 3 bottle of frozen endura on the water tables and a gu in my fuel belt.

The gun went off and I went out at a reasonable pace. I was shocked to see Tess and I were running 4:38 pace. So much for the easy 5min/km pace run!!
I slowed down purposefully then and just focused on taking on water/fluid at each water stop and also my form.
The first 5km loop (there were 4x today) went by in 23:30mins. I was happy with this and pleasantly suprised. Eddie was just up ahead (okay about 30sec ahead) and that gave me enough focus to keep it going. I lost sight of him on the second lap but actually forgot why I was running fast so just maintained the pace.
The next loop was also 23:30 and I was so so happy with my consistency that I forgot the 'easy' race plan and just tried hard to keep it going.

I had a gu at 10km (15km for the day) and felt better instantly, I am sure this was psychological! Not long after I was needing the toilet AGAIN and kicked myself for drinking so much to wash the Gu down. I really didn't want to waste any time on a break. So I went past and told myself I could hold on.
I did but LOL it wasn't pretty...I just made it in time and when I did cross the line I threw my card at the ladies behind the desk then ran to the loo :)
One thing I found was the fuel belt puts pressure on my bladder so I need to seriously consider my Marathon plans for rehydration so I don't find myself in the same boat....are there toilets on the course????

I crossed the line in 1:34 and was happy to have done consistent laps and catch a few of those runners in front of me. It wasn't until Tess and I belatedly stepped out for our warmdown (which almost killed me) that it sunk it that I had run sub 5min the whole way. Even adding on a further km at say 5min pace to finish (make up to 21.1km) I would have been on target for a half marathon PB. If it wasn't for Tess (who was ready to throw up at any time) I don't think I would have bothered with a cool down run at all. THANKS TESS.

I hate putting pressure on myself but now it is out there I might try harder. In two weeks time I will be going very hard for a PB at the BRRC Club Championships Half Marathon. Fingers crossed for me guys :)

10 comments:

Horrie said...

Great run Clairie. You are running great at the moment. No need for a fuel belt at Canberra as you can have personal drinks at every 5km as well as the water sachets at the 2.5kms in between. This should ease the pressure on your bladder.

Tesso said...

Great work Clairie, you were really in 'the zone' out there yesterday!

So sad you didn't have a running buddy like we did :-( Actually I thought mine would find the pace too slow and zip ahead and join you. Glad he didn't, we had a great old chat :-)

Even though that warm-down was the slowest we'd run all morning it really was a struggle, I sure was glad to see the 5k tick over on the Garmin. Doubt if I would've done it if you weren't there so THANK YOU!

You are going to do a killer PB at the Half champs even without us crossing all our fingers. Go for it!

Horrie's spot on about Canberra, no need for a utility belt. Though I'll be wearing mine for my iPod :-)

Rob said...

It was great being in the same race again with you and Tesso. Both of you are such an inspiration to me.

What Tesso and Horrie say about the fuel belt is quite correct. I have never used on in a marathon. However I do carry 2 GUs in the little fob pocket of my shorts and carry one in my hand. I usually have my first GU after about 1 Hr 10 mins.

2P said...

Nice work Clairie - the way you are speeding up I don't think that Half PB is in much doubt - the only question is by how much?

Katie said...

No need to cross fingers... you are putting in the effort- you will reap the rewards.

RunDave said...

Well done Clairie. Sounds like you will never be in danger of dehydration. Good luck with the PB. Fingers and toes crossed.

miners said...

Fingers are definitely crossed for you Clairie, however the prep's looking pretty good with runs like this.

Anonymous said...

Go Clairie

Don't you marathon runners wee when running? That's what us triathaletes are told to do!!

xxox

Hannah said...

Woohoo! Go you :) Fab run :) It took me a moment to twig about the 20k comment on the run - by which time you'd zoomed past LOL! I did wish I was just doing 10km though LOL!

Can't wait to see how you go in Canberra :)

Eagle said...

Best time will be in a few weeks to do that half PB - it will do you no harm physically and menatlly if you achieve it then it is a fantastic for the mental prepartion for marathon.