Sunday, February 12, 2006

Brisbane 10Mile Club Championships

I deserved a medal today!

Had a work function in Warwick last night and was up drinking with the boys until just before 2am this morning. I then got to sleep before the alarm went off at 4am for the fast (Ally if you are reading this I wasn't really speeding :) ...) drive to the Road Runners.
I had a can of V to wake up and a spoonful of rice but couldn't stomach anything else. Bit too much port still in the stomach I think.

Anyhow I got to roadrunners and it was pouring with rain. What a blouse I felt. I honestly considered staying in the car. Then told myself having driven all this way I had better damn well run. So I fished around in my sports bag for my watch and got out of the car. It was only as I locked the door I realised as well as finding my watch my fingers had found a razor blade and three of my fingers had lovely slices that were bleeding heavily. It was not going to be a good day.

I signed on and stood with Jodi and Andy under their umbrella with my hand stuck out to wash the blood. Volunteers were down on numbers and it was painful to watch everyone try to set up the tables and race clock etc.
Tesso arrived and we headed off for a warm up. The fingers were okay now. Cuts weren't deep enough to continue bleeding but they were now stinging from the rain.
We managed about 200m for the warm up (stop laughing) before having to turn around for the start.

Unfortunately the start was delayed (first time I can recall this happening at BRRC)whilst everyone was still trying to get organised. Rain can spoil everything.

The race got going and I put the ipod on. I had decided and firmly believed I would be running 5-5:30min/km pace. I knew I would go out a bit faster than that but would settle down once the crowd thinned out. We had to do 1.1km followed by 3 x 5km loops.

The 1.1km took me 5:32 and I treated that as my offcial warm up.

Then sadly Jodi (yes the really fast woman who won Noosa Half Marathon last year) decided to join me for the first 5km loop. She was just out running for 30mins and thought this would be fun. So we fell into a steady pace with the following km splits:

4:44
4:53 (water)
4:42
4:39
4:46

Went through the first loop and I felt great. Amazing to think this was so hard to run at this pace last year. So I thought I would keep it up and see how I would manage. I certainly wasn't fussed if I blew up and had to wimper home today so this helped me push on mentally as I had no pressure.

Second 5km splits were:
4:54
4:51 (water) Jodi left
4:53
4:32
4:41

I love starting the final lap on this course. It feels like it is the loop of the stadium in the olypics or something. Not that there is anyone there but that it is the final loop before finishing a solid run. Crazy but I like it.

4:40 (took gu and water)
4:41 (water)
4:37
4:29
4:17

My stomach was not happy with the alcohol and rich food from last night so I took a gu - silly with only 5km to go but my body needed some fuel to pump out the last few km.

It was great to see Tessos smiling face when I turned around to head out and she was gesticulating something to me that I interpreted as "you are doing great!" so I fired on and told myself to come home.

It was only at the 3km course marker (so 2km left in the race to go) that I realised I could get a PB if I picked it up. I put on my song and pushed hard. In the last km it was a struggle coming up the slight incline but the clock ticking made me hold on to push it home. Watch stopped bang on 1:15:59. A PB by 11secs.
Had no idea where that came from and I know if Jodi hadn't ran with me and sublimely embarress me into running faster than planned I would never have done it. So thanks Jodi.

And thanks Tesso for the cheers as I went past.Despite her doing 105.5km last Sunday I was still in fear of her catching me at the finish as each lap she seemed to be accelerating.

I came home with the gold for my age category (that was a given due to the numbers being low from the bad weather). I also was third female overall (now that was sooo unexpected).

Personally I think the second last km in the 5km loop was out. It was always the fastest km though it didn't feel it. Any feedback from others that have done the run this morning?

12 comments:

Hannah said...

I know what you mean about that second last km - I always over estimate where I'm up to and then end up speeding up too early ;)

I don't know if it was much different this morning - although, I was taking it easy anyway.

Blingtastic race :)

Wobbly man said...

Grat run Clairie. Its amazing how PB's can come along when they are least expected. I envy your splits!

Katie said...

WOO HOO!!!! YOu are on FIRE!!! I seriously get sooo excited when I read your and Tess's blog- It is going to be son much fun when we finish on 9/4!!! Now young lady I just have to say....LAZY - what the??? Have I been reading the right blog??? You just keep up all that hard work... we will romp it in :-)
Now go and put that bling on and bask in the PB!!!! Now I will say... I will try and be inspired for a Pb! haha I think the hills are easier :-)

Tesso said...

Here was me complaining about getting just four hours sleep and you only had two!

Top run this morn Clairie. These podium finishes are becoming a habit :-) And how good was it that the second lady wasn't a member - woohoo, more points for us!

I thought the 4k sign was in the usual spot, could be wrong. There are markers on the footpath where they put them so they shouldn't be out.

Cirque said...

That's a fantastic result Clairie! Must have been all the alcoholic carbo-loading.
How do you feel tonight?

2P said...

Glad to hear the Clairie Family Anthem got a workout as you stepped up to the dias to collect your medal - well done Clarie ;-)

Horrie said...

Sounds like you have found the secret Clairie. Getting charged up on the port the night before. I wonder if it will help me run PBs. ;-) It certainly looks as though things are going very well for you and you will be flying in Canberra. You've just got to remember the port!

miners said...

Love the pre-race prep from the night before - Congratulations on a great result. Fanstastic looking splits Clairie

Rob said...

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Clairie you are going so great. Scary Clairie. Congratulations. You are just going to be a speck in the distance for me in Canberra.

RunDave said...

Sounds like you've got your pre-race preparation wrapped up. You'll have to organise a pub crawl for the night before the Canberra Marathon; don't forget to eat a kebab at the end of the night; a maximum of 4 hours sleep; identify the fastest runner out there and run along with them for most of the race.

Shane said...

That was a great effort yesterday Clairie. A PB after the night you had is awesome. I think I would have been chasing you if you had a good night sleep and a quiet night :)

Aki said...

Great time Clairie, you were flying!