Saturday, February 11, 2006

Mini Long Run

Well it wasn't even that really...just a 12km run around the River back to the Regatta.

Tess, Phil and I started out with everyone else but after a few km we all agreed we were pushing it - only to look at our watches and see we were averaging 5:13 pace. Not exactly pushing it for us but it felt sooo much faster. We discussed every excuse in the book but I think Tesso and Phil are the only ones with valid excuses.

Tesso kept going to do a few more km at the turn around and Phil was about to before I reminded him he is aiming to break 72mins at the 10Miler tomorrow. This will be a steady 4:30pace so a long run today would not have helped his preparation.

Together we headed back and SOMEHOW managed to increase the pace somewhat. It felt tough but mentally I was in a good place.

We didn't bother keeping track of our pace or distance until the last 3km. Just before we reached there we agreed a strategy - 2x5min km followed by a 4:30min km.
We upped the speed and clocked 4:40, then dropped it to clock 4:50. Knowing we needed to increase it we pushed it up and did our last km in 4:12. It was fast and felt great to push it out.

Funny thing is I realised I was shortening my stride when I sprint that last km and turn the legs over faster. I must investigate if I should be striding out and pumping the arms or taking quicker smaller revolutions. Might practice striding at the end of tomorrows run and see if it feels better or worse.

10Miler in the morning (16.1km) it is a Championship Race but I will be doing it for the points as my legs are too weary to race. Pity as I really thought this year I had the chance to break the 75min barrier.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Clairie take it easy.... hmmm we will see ;-) Have fun with your run!
I find that I naturally shorten my stride with more revolutions faster revolutions. The physio said to me that there is research to show that this is a safer way, as biger strides can lead to shin and other injuries. It certainly feels that you can go faster when you stride out....??? not sure.

Rob said...

Clairie I find I run faster when I shorten my stride. I don't have a long stride as it is and when I try a longer stride I tire more quickly. I vary my stride during a race and usually try to stay within my comfort zone.

I hope the 10 miler went well. No doubt you picked up a medal.