Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Breakfast followed by breakfast with the Elites....

It was a great session for goss and support this morning. I was aching all over when we started but Tess saw SPOT go over the bridge and hollered out to him (really she has no shame that girl) and so he came and ran with us. All the while he gave me an update on what he did for the Brissy marathon (he is sub 3 marathoner) in both training and nutrition. I was so into him that before I knew it the warm up was over and time to get serious.
Session was: 2min (30sec) 1min (30sec) 2min (20sec standing) repeat back to the start. Then once we had all regrouped we did 2min out, turnaround and race home.

I felt great the whole way and was playing catch with Robbie who seemed to be going all over the place.
The final 4min effort was hard as we had stopped for a bit and my body found it hard to get going again. Then I heard Karen say " this is what it will be like at the 35km mark Clairie..." which was really great to hear so off I went and made an effort to come home harder.

Following our session Tess and I showered and then met Pat for breakfast. I thought we were only stopping for coffe so at Pats I took advantage of his protein drinks and a bowl of cashews for breaky....then we we arrived at the cafe Pat was starving and ordered...so I did the courteous thing (and so did Tess) and we both ordered toast and forced it down with our coffees. Poor Pat we had him talking the whole time his food was cold before he got a chance to eat it.

Learnt a lot though and it is just fabulous to hear other people's experiences and take on what is best for Marathon preparation. I will know better once I have done the half but his formula of DOUBLE YOUR HALF AND ADD 10MINS seems to be a well accepted one. He also had a lot of info about staying calm and conserving energy before the race...like NOT spending the night before with all my coolrunning friends and talking endlessly about the race. (as if I would!!!) I also like his suggestion on imagery. Kit- must do this too! He said to look on the map where 35km will be and imagine how you will be feeling (similar to what you feel at the end of your long long run in humid weather) and then work through how you will run the next 7km.

Anyhow...it was all good and I am very lucky to have so many people sharing their wisdom and ideas with me.

9 comments:

2P said...

The calculator on the McMillanrunning.com site seems to corroborate the double and add 10 rule pretty much....

MMM 2 breakfasts - starting to sound like running hobbits ;-)

CJ said...

Good idea about the imagery - I will have to try it. I seem to hit a wall about the 37km mark - that last 5km can seem like forever!

miners said...

Fantastic opportunity to pick the brains of the experts - I recall Spot being pretty cluey as to nutrition. I think it's one of his personal favourite topics! ;)

That "double your half and add 10 minutes" was also used in a similar way by a mate of mine to predict my Ironman time - except it was "double your half IM time and add an HOUR"

Tesso said...

Hmmmm, I though he said add ten minutes to your half and double that - ie go through the halfway mark ten minutes slower than you run a half marathon. That was gonna give me an extra ten minutes!

Katie said...

Haha... running elves more like it! I am a fan of decond breakfast!

Ohhh I like that double your half time and add 10mins... that will be spot on my goal marathon time :-) How EXCITING! Now all I have to do is run it ;-)

That is excellent visualisation. I have been doing that when I am feeling stuffed at the end of my runs (any distance) I picture that this is towards then end and practice just maintaining my effort.

Are you doing your own drinks or just what is there and when do you think you will take Gu's?

Ewen said...

No, you will just spend all the afternoon of the day before talking to your coolrunning friends!

Rob said...

Clairie one day you will be the wise old runner sharing her wisdom. Well maybe not old. I keep forgetting..it's me that's old. I've still got to get the wisdom. By the time I do I will have forgotten what it is I'm supposed to share.

Rob said...

Why is it my comments have a little trash bin under them and nobody else does? It it because I talk a lot of trash? Hmmmm.

Toasty said...

Ok I'm sure there was more info over breakfast ... feel free to blog it, as I am sure I'm not the only one who is interested.