Got to the Regatta nice and early. This hayfever is killing me and I really hate taking drugs but being blocked up and then all sniffly and teary is a major pain in the arse that I could do without.
Currently I am dying to go home and sleep the weekend away. No chance of that however...
Was just wanting to turn the legs over but ended up being alongside a woman who had done a few Comrades and Twin Oceans so it was a bit of an effort to keep up the running and talk constantly at the same time. We were only running 5:10 pace but I guess it was a bit hot out there today as well.
Got to the turn around in 20:33 and my running friend said she needed to slow down (LOL so did I but was trying my best to not show it).
Then unfortunately Chris caught up to me and starting talking about my training. He purposefully (I am sure) increased the pace until we were doing 4:55. At the 2km mark I dropped him off with another runner and slowed it down a tad. Not for long though....
Just before the 1km to go mark I was overtaken by two young boys out running for the Uni. They were not even wearing running gear but gym shorts and full t-shorts. It was a personal affront that two young men just out for a bit of a lark could overtake me - such a serious runner!! So after 100m of pondering on this I decided to try and wheel them in. Around 700m to go I put foot full to the floor and went past number 2. Then I reeled in Number 1. He didn't like me going past at all and pulled up alongside to keep at me. I surged, he surged. He was laughing at me I am sure (pathetic attempt by some mutton in little running shorts to humiliate all serious runners.....) but I finally managed to blow him away with 2m to go(ok so I was 2cm in front - that still counts!!!!). I stopped and hit the watch and told my body to breath again. Meanwhile the young boys just kept on running past towards the Uni. I just bet they got around the corner and had to walk it!!!!!
4 comments:
Dreaded hayfever, Clairie! Yes, they would have just got to the corner & walked! How dare they ovetake a serious runner such as yourself! Seriously, you are becoming seriously fast!
What an interesting run though - all sorts of things & people happening your way ..hope you can rid yourself of the hayfever & enjoy the weekend.
Onya Clairie - can't have those young bicks getting away with too much - someone has to keep em in their place ;-)
2 cm is heaps ... just ask any guy ;-)
Great running once again Clairie.
Chasing young boys- hmmmm
Good on you clairie nothing like a challenge to get the competitor in us going! Enjoy your long run :-)
Post a Comment