Thursday, March 02, 2006

Hills.....for the wimp

It was still dark this morning at 5.30am when we all grouped at the base of the falls. No one was very cheerful about being out and about - least of all motivated to race up a dark wet STEEP hill. The things we do....

Anyhow off we set for a 10min warm up then it was two hill repeats - all the way to the top (yes I have been promoted to run with the top group).

First one was okay. I just have to face facts that this is NEVER going to be easy.
On the way down I gagged and had a bitter taste in my mouth. I stopped and washed my mouth out...and had a drink of course!
All around me people were moaning and groaning. Liz L refused to go up again and sat down (shock!!) she was very tired and it made me feel very tired.

So you can imagine my suprise when I went up the hill and got to the very top and thought...now what. I was pumped I just got up there without thinking about it.

Unfortunately, whilst the run was great and I felt good and strong I now have a niggle....aaaarrrgggghhh. I am sure it is nothing but the underneath of my left foot is a bit sore. I have new shoes so will get them out of the box. Also I will rest up tonight with some ice and maybe pop a voltaren and report back in the morning. I realise I am just being paranoid but....runners are like that :)

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Good on ya for attacking that hill a second time. In fact, good on ya for attacking it the first time. Dunno how you back up and do that session after doing the road Mt Coot-tha the day before!

Hopefully that niggle is more in your head than in your foot :-) It is amazing how they all surface as you get closer to a big race.

Toasty said...

I'm impressed how you keep turning up to those sessions and attack each and everyone of them with so much commitment. I have decided to ignore my niggles and my watch and just run for awhile.

Katie said...

Hahaha Paranoid is the word alright! I reckon I can tell if a hair on my leg moves :-) Good girl for being sensible. Try standing with a tennis ball under the sole of your foot and put some pressure and mopve it around. I find that the muscles in my feet get tight and you don't realise... helps release some tension- foot, head or both :-)

CJ said...

You're absolutely right Clairie - we are a paranoid bunch! But usually with good reason because most of us have had injuries :-( Hope the niggle is nothing and has gone away.

Good work on the hill by the way!

Matty said...

Clairie,

You didn't mention your shoe mileage but I can tell you that I have only had two niggles in the PF region in the last 27 months. Both came during a run wearing Brooks Radius 04's with 620k and 650k on them respectively.

I retired both pairs of shoes immediately and there was no further discomfort.

Don't forget the old 600ml frozen bottle trick. Ally will be sure to remind you anyway!! ;-)

Jen said...

So sorry to hear about your little niggle - I'm sure with a little TLC it will retreat again.

I'm so sorry that I haven't dropped by lately. Damn life has been getting in the way. You've certainly been busy. I'm looking forward to closely following the rest of your journey to Canberra (and beyond)

Tamyka Bell said...

Which hill are you running up - the road, or the trail from JC Slaughter Falls up the centre? I did a few extra reps up one of the tracks that morning, while trying to find the start of some single track I knew was hiding out there... I saw you all in the carpark but didn't have time to stop and chat (but thought, "hey, CR, oh hey that's Clairie!" and wished you good run thoughts...)