Friday, March 31, 2006

so much for a taper....

Met up at the Regatta at 6am with the group. Normal stuff. Was hoping for a nice lesuirely 8km run but Coach Chris had other ideas.

There was a journalist there to interview both Chris and myself (and Tess) on Marathon running. As she is also a photographer she headed off before we started with her equipment in the hope of catching us as we ran past.

Sucked in the gut and held the head high but alas....could not do anything to hide the legs. :(

We ran the first 4km in 5min pace out to the turnaround and then Chris came up behind me and told me to keep with him. I had not worn my watch so had no idea of pace at all until after the run. I just kept with him and he said 'plan is to get faster each km - not by much though'. After the first km I was scared. This was fast and I had to get progressively faster??
Hit the hill just before the 2km mark (2km to the finish) and got a dry throat. It was very humid out there and I was sweating heaps and very thirsty. Still am (thirsty that is - not sweaty!!).
He upped the ante again and we got faster. He kept talking to me and telling me how good I was doing but I just responded with 'I can't' and started to slow a bit. Then he told me only 700 more meters to go and that inspired me. I went a bit faster so he kept on me to get faster and faster. We stopped at the 1km (to the finish) mark for the jog home.
Results.... *drum roll please*
4km out @ 5min/km
1km 4:33min/km
1km 4:20min/km
1km 3:56min/km
1km 5:15min/km - pulled up 10m short at the water bubbler.

Oh it was good to finish and I feel very confident now that I am going to cope with Canberra. Yeah clairie is going to kick butt!!!! (watch out Eddie...)

That's it now, no more runs of anything faster than 5min/km pace. No more long runs. Less than 20km all up to be run in the next 8days till Canberra. This is getting very very exciting.

8 comments:

Chelle said...

Wooooooooooooooooo-hoooooooooo. Thats the spirit... we all know you can do, just been waiting the past week for a post from you stating that you can as well :)

2P said...

Sounds like Chris knew the therapy you needed - great job Clairie ;-)

Robert Song said...

Clairie,

I sense a lot of anticipation and excitement from many CRs.

As for you, you're way way past excited.

I believe, unlike shorter racing distances, the marathon is a race of constraint. You don't want to be too fired up and start to quickly. You want to get to the start line relaxed and rested.

Have a good final week.

Ewen said...

Enjoy the last week Clairie. I hope the remaining sleeps are good ones.

Toasty said...

Nice work by both yourself and Chris.

Rob said...

Excellent Clairie! You are sounding more Clairie. I would be very proud to have my butt kicked by you.....I just hope I don't make it too easy for you.

Katie said...

Nice work... slow and steady is the name of the game this week :-) Can't wait to meet you next week!

Tesso said...

Hey Clairie, kick my butt during the week this week. That's one less to do next Sunday. And good practice for all those others you are going to kick.