Thursday, March 30, 2006

What the hell is going on???

someone is poisoning me...I am sure of it.

I had a good solid meal last night - and ate early as well. Long time coming!
Then had the best sleep (without need of laundry bucket) and woke up feeling very refreshed.

Went to Pats speed session. I was devastated. He was all geared up to do a 3km TT with me. He was actually going to run alongside and pace me to a good time. I had to decline and he was very disappointed. I just didn't feel up to it.

Instead I opted for the session everyone else was doing - which was 2km, 1km, 500m and 1km.

It was hard work the whole time and I was way way off what I normally do on this session. My HR was also through the roof sitting on around 182 most of the time.

So you can laugh, my times were: 8:21, 4:32, 1:56 and 4:27.

Normally I aim for running sub 8min, 3:55, 1:50 and 3:55.
What a joke.
Everyone was flying past me and I was getting more and more frustrated.
My only consolation is the nausea has abated. I just need to get my energy levels back up.

11 comments:

Eagle said...

The roller coaster ride will end no sooner than when yuo toe the starting line on Sunday week. It it normal in my experience in the week or so before the marathon to imagine a lot of things that are not correct - 'Ive lost my speed' 'I have lost condition' etc.

I can't stop you from having those thoughts but put them into prespective - they are not true. You have done the work and be comfortable with that. Relax and calm down and enjoy the build up in tension etc but treat that as a positive not a negative.

Rob said...

Clairie you have been working very hard for months. Everything will be absolutely fine on the day. Just forget about TT,s and speed this week and next. Set your mind and heart and emotions on the Marathon and don't be distracted. Believe me Clairie, when the gun goes off on Sunday 9th you will be amazed at how it feels and how you quickly settle into the race. You will love it and you will be great.

Anonymous said...

Weren't you supposed to be resting???

CHILL Baby.

Robert Song said...

While you are still feeling a little off colour, you should feel no remorse from resting. There is little to be gained from hard training at this stage.

Rest is best.

2P said...

You don't just lose fitness and speed overnight (look how long it took you to get!).

Still plenty of time to get well and freshen up - you will chewing up the tarmac in no time ;-)

Katie said...

I agree with Eagle and all the other comments. It is normal to feel slow and sluggish in the taper AND you have not been feeling well. You won't improve anything now but could undo a lot, so this next 10 days take it easy and get ready for the big day. As sean says you don't want to leave your best in training! Just remember you have done the hard work and you ARE ready and you WILL run well on the day!
Take care and see you soon!

Chelle said...

You must have been at a different session from me then, from where I sat (and people really were flying past me!) you were looking just great. Being a couple of seconds off your norm, having just completed 3? 4? months of serious marathon training and having spent the past few days crook, is nothing to be ashamed of.
Hang in there, soon its' going to have been all worth while :)

Jen said...

Chill petal. You have done all the hard work and just now, you've been sick. You still have 10 days to go before the marathon - that is plenty of time for you to build your strength up again. Look after yourself for the next few days :-)

Tesso said...

Clairie .... what everybody else said ... and then some ...

Hey, you will be more than okay on the day. Don't even think about your times today, though just quietly they are still pretty good considering you have been sick.

Your energy levels will be back to normal in a day or two, concentrate on getting those right.

And stop worrying about everyone else!!!! They might have been flying past you today but if they were to line up beside you Sunday week they'd be eating your dust!

I am soooooo excited for you, as are squillions of others. Don't go ruining it for us with any negative talk!

Toasty said...

Well if we told you about this before the marathon you wouldn't have believed us ...... right? I'd tell what next week will be like but why ruin the surprise.

Ewen said...

It's quite normal to feel 'off' in the first part of a taper Clairie. Don't worry about it!