Friday, March 24, 2006

Not that fast after all....

I went to bed all fired up that I would get up this morning and run damn hard.

I was hoping to do an 8km time trial so I could tell Eagle and he could then tell me what that meant in regards to a time at Canberra.
Unfortunately I got there and instead of sneaking off for a warmup Coach Chris wanted to talk to me and question me on every food I had been eating and what I was cooking for dinner tonight...(I'll know about 20mins beforehand!!!)

So no warm up. No taper of course either. I set off and told myself to be sensible and did 5min for 1st km. Then 4:50 for next one. Warmup complete. The next 5km I did at 4:30 pace but never got any faster until the last one which I then did at 4:20. It was hard work and I never felt anywhere near as comfortable as I did in the half marathon. It honestly felt like a 3km time trial the whole way!!! I just never got in the groove. :( I hope that doesn't happen at Canberra.

I had a smelly old man come up beside me and he had really bad BO. He said hello then went in front for a bit. I had to overtake just to breathe again but unfortunately that didn't sit well with him so he re-took the lead. I then slowed down to get some fresh air but he did too - was obviously wanting to stay with me but just in front. Dammit. Stupid smelly men why can't they wear deoderant like the rest of us???
Trust me when I finish a race all smelly and sweaty I am very conscious of it - but I never run without deoderant and will throw away old clothes once they become ingrained with the sweaty 'smell'. So by all means someone please tell me if I am one of those really bad smelly people won't you????

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Ah ..... Clairie ..... there's something I've been meaning to tell you .... ;-)

Don't worry about this morning. Remember you had a mini taper, had brekky etc before the half mara so it would've felt way more comfortable even though it was further.

Hey maybe we should get that guy to come to Canberra - that'll get you moving!

Wobbly man said...

Haven't you always wondered why Tesso likes to run from the front? ;) Just 15 more sleeps!

2P said...

LOL Clairie I had that same experience the other day in Canberra - I just couldn't believe how bad this guy smelled and he was Mr Havachat... I suddenly discovered my shoelace didn't seem tied up right :-)

Do you use the McMillan Tables to predict times? I've found them reasonably accurate.