Tuesday, March 21, 2006

SPEED SPEED AND HILLS

Was moaning when doing the warm up this morning at Pats. I was achy and tired all over. Mostly from the gym. My arms were just so heavy!!

By the end of the warm up I was starting to pick up mentally and felt a lot better.

The group was large (again!) and it was good to see some elite athletes as well as some new runners to the group.

We ran out to New Farm and then had 15min of fartlek. 1min fast, 30sec slow, 30sec fast, 15sec slow, 15sec sprint, 15sec slow REPEAT X4.

At the end of the four reps we had to run the length of the road and then there was a very steep hill to go up near the Story Bridge. All up a decent 500m effort. I was running strongly and then Pat said "top 10 runners have to do two reps of the hill"
I wasn't paying much attention as some guys were going past me and giving me good pep talks as well. Me, I couldn't breathe, let alone talk to anyone.
Then the hill came and I just shot up it. Went past 4 fast blokes!!! I should have paid more attention to Pat...I got to the top and was sent straight back down. I was number 10 runner. Ecstatic to be so in front. But hurting to have to do that again. A few guys who were after me decided to keep me company on the rep and they pushed me up which was very welcome.

Certainly feel like I ran well and hard today. I will only be going to Pat's sessions now if he has speedwork that is suitable for marathon (ie 500m or 1k reps). Otherwise I will just go to Chris's sessions at the track for the next two weeks. Don't want to do hills or twist my ankle running on the bark in the gardens etc.
As Tess said - it's cotton wool time now!!!

4 comments:

Lulu said...

Yes, definitely cotton wool time. I can't wait to see you fly around the Canberra course!

miners said...

Fantastic to see you're over the hump and have all the fitness in the bag now saint clair. Don't-do-anything-stoopid time from here on in. Best of luck in achieiving just that (lord knows, I could use a lesson or two)

2P said...

Yep - definitely nothin stoopid time ;-)

Tesso said...

Wow, sounds like fun ... not! But still wish I was there.

Glad you did an extra hill rep - that one was for me :-) Good that the boys accompanied you on it too, though I reckon they probably did it out of guilt :-)