Aptly named that - Glasshouse. My legs feel totally shattered like broken glass. At least I escaped with no major blisters this time around.
My run was truly magnificent and has given me the confidence and enthusiasm that I desperately needed in my running. I felt strong the whole way and though I hurt a bit on some of the uphills I managed to overtake quite a few guys.
And guess what - NO ONE OVERTOOK ME well with the exception of three guys who got lost. I kept with them for about 20sec but two of them were running very hard and got way ahead. I stayed within 100m of the third guy - who is way faster than me normally but he was struggling on the hills so I was able to keep up for once! It was very rewarding to be so challeneged and come through feeling positive.
The 24hrs before my race I was totally focussed on the ultra runners and crewing for them. I even thought I may end up pacing during the night. That would have been interesting but I was terrified of what could happen out there and everyone was coming in looking terrible....not my idea of fun!
In the end Blue Dog was way ahead of schedule and I doubt I would have been able to keep up, Brendan was taking his time and still close to his plan and Horrie had a much better offer from Shultzy to pace him for the full 60km (which I could NEVER have done) so I was relieved that it was not necessary for me to run.
Nonetheless I was tired from being up all day and on my feet not the best lead up to a long race. I certainly thought I would struggle through the run and despite Tess absolutely knowing for sure that "I was going to have a great run"...I truly thought I would be coming in with the sweepers.... I would have been glad just to have done the distance for a training run anyhow!
I couldn't have done it without all the crew and coolrunners. Just knowing Tess was going to be at the finish line made me come in strong (and hollering....just in case she had fallen asleep waiting for me :)
During the run I was motivated by BlueDog who had finished his run by then and Tugger who did an awesome run as well...not to mention Spud, whippet and Tim who had all run sub24hr and of Tam and Tam who were out there doing it for the girls!
So I ran and thought of them all.
I thought of Horrie still being out there, I thought of Brendan's anguish at his DNF and how I had to keep going because of all of them. I had to do the best I could to be part of the whole amazing weekend. It worked and I am totally over the moon about my run. I don't even recall the exact time - it doesn't matter. I didn't think of time or splits the whole way, I just ran with the flow and ebb that is a trail run. It was great.
I ended up in second spot (female) in 2:44:xx which was rewarding but then again there were no more than 15 females in the race so can't get too excited about that!! Nonetheless...I did the best I could and felt great so nothing to complain about whatsoever!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou GBH.
17 comments:
Congratulations on a terrific run Clairie. Second from 15 is pretty damn good.
Wow what a great run Clairie - congratulations ;-)
Fantastic run considering you would have hardly had any sleep crewing for us all day Saturday and into the early hours of Sunday morning. Thank you for everything you did for GBH on the weekend. Well done on a truly outstanding effort!
That is fantastic Clairie! Well done you clever girl!
Awesome run Clairie - congrats!!
I'm *really* forward to making my debut at GH :-)
great to her you enjoyed it so much
Sounds like a great weekend and a good race for you.
Champion effort Clairie to get up and run after crewing all day and half a night. 2nd woman yeehah!
2nd Place, congradulations. That's terrific after your crewing. Blue Dog thinks the world of you and Tesso.
xxx
Awesome run Clairie! Inspirational stuff.
Big congrats buddy :-)
But hey, you weren't just 2nd, you were 2nd to Mrs Tugger who happens to be one of Qld's best trail runners. Aaaaaand you were only 4 minutes behind her. Now that is what I call a great achievement.
And you did all that after so little sleep Friday and Saturday, and being on your feet all day Saturday. Imagine what you would have done if you had a proper taper.
Have an easy week and recover well. We have a 25k fish to fry on Sunday.
Clairie, I am amazed you could put a run together like that after crewing duties, incredible. I didn't even realise you were racing, well done on second place, awesome. Your energy and enthusiasm along with Tesso was so welcome at GH, thanks for being there.
Thanks for the invitation to the Saturday long run! This week is out because I have an exam but the week after should be great! thanks again. O
Hoot hoot! Great stuff. Sounds like a wild weekend.
You'll have to use that pre-race prep for your next marathon Clairie ;)
Sounds like you had fun and were at one with the trail.
Well done Clairie, 2nd WOW!
yunno team mellum might need an extra hand or 2 next year!
Post a Comment