Sunday, October 22, 2006

Final BRRC Championships Race 2006

This morning was the final race in the series for 2006 - a 5km. If it wasn't in the Championships I guess I would not have run it. I would have done the 15km option instead.

I have never run 5km as a race before so I was interested to see what I could do. I know what all my friends, coaches and running calculators say I can do but I never meet up to those expectations when the distance is short - as we all know from my dismal 10km attempts.

This morning I woke up feeling well rested and ready to go but still didn't bank on having a great time. I was confident of one thing - I was going to give it everything I had.

Tess and I got there early so we could socialise...I mean warm up.

We headed out down the road but just before the 1km turnaround I realised I had not had my can of V (or any breaky) so turned back and left Tess to keep on runnning.

I had a few mouthfuls and knew I would regret it as it was only 8mins to race time.

I did two run thru's - pathetic really but it got my heart rate going so some good came from them.

The gun went and I hurtled out. I would like to know how fast Robertsong did his first km in because my Garmin says we did it in 3:34 and I am amazed at that. It was fast but I didn't think I could run THAT fast. The km's ticked by steady and I got a bit tired halfway but then pepped up when I realised it was HALFWAY. I then ran it home to get to the 4km mark where I was now physically tiring. I was really trying to just hold my form. My legs felt great - like I could go on forever. I was breathing like an elephant but with the ipod turned up loud I didn't care.

Crossed the finish line in exactly 20:30 - woo hoo third female and Gold for my age group. Faster than I expected and I was very very happy with that run. Any time today would have been a PB but at least now I can say I have a 5km time I am happy with....so I won't have to run one again!

17 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Well done Clairie!

A nice time. This has got to give you some encouragement. I mean it shows that your all round training
approach is starting to kick in with some results.

I pity the poor fool who puts his money against you in the next races.

miners said...

hey - some 4 min kms, some elephant breathing and some bling! Congrats Saint Clairie

2P said...

That IS some 5k time Clairie - well done!

Toasty said...

McMillan has that as a sub 3:20 marathon equivalent.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Food for thought.

That is a sensational time and well deserved. You really seem to me to have your running together.

Rob said...

Fantastic time Clairie! You gotta be happy with that.

Superflake said...

Great race Clairie. One more gold for the trophy cabinet. You beauty.

Tesso said...

Clairie, you forgot to mention you were second overall for the 2006 series with just Clare G in front of you! Huuuuuuge congrats buddy :-)

What a fantastic run. I know my eyes aren't that great but when I hit Riverside Dve just after the 2k mark and couldn't see your blue and yellow CR cap I knew you were having a blinder.

If the rumour is true and the course really was a bit long then you may have been close to 20 mins flat. I'll have to liaise with Matty and MJ about bringing that Noosa Bolt goal forward to next year!

Robert Song said...

I clocked the first K at 3:58 for me. No way were we doing 3:34 pace.

Great run all the same and 2nd overall in the Club for the year is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Well done Clairie - Look out little Clare......

Congratulations on second for the Club - must be getting dizzy up there on the podium all the time.

Stephen Lacey said...

Well done Clairie. It is great to see what a positive attitude can do for one. I will try to keep that in mind. Somebody in the comments on my blog was banging on about that recently, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was ;-)

No, in all seriousness, I appreciated your pep talk. But don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on anything, just trying to make a realistic assessment and reflect on what I might do over the next two weeks. Some more threshold runs are definitely on the menu. And yes, I was a naughty boy running 18 km on Saturday (sticks pinky to corner of mouth).

Bernie G said...

Congrats on the Bling, well deserved.

Ewen said...

Great race Clairie. 20:30 is a solid time. You could be good at these!

Glad to read about your well planned warm-up.

Yes, you do have to run one again - you want a sub-20 :)

Jen said...

I hope Clare G is looking over her shoulder ;-)

Congrats Clairie. That is an AWESOME time - well done!

Horrie said...

You were certainly smoking there Clairie. That is a time you can be very happy with. For a while at least. It won't be long before you are going sub 20.

R2B said...

Awesome Clairie!

You have such a positive attitude to running it's no wonder you enjoy it and run so well!!

And the bling is just an added bonus....congratulations!

Cheers R2B

Lulu said...

What a great run Clairie and congrats on the race bling! V. well deserved for you and Tesso.

Matty said...

See???? Bring on the NOOSA BOLT!!!