It all sounded great during the week - meet up at 5am and head off for a 38km long run before it all got too hot. Then along came the wet (cool) weather and we forgot to alter our plans.
So at 4am this morning I was huddled in my kitchen with socks on my feet chomping down some creamed rice and filling the camelbak. I had my running gear AND A jumper on.
Got to Southbank at 4:55am in time to have a chat to Mark and do some stretches before Glenno and Johnny arrived. Tara and Ciaran were a no show and Tess was off sick - everyone else wanted to do less km so started later - so it was a small group today.
Just as we were about to leave a car was honking and flashing along the main road and we guessed it was Tara and Ciaran - late AGAIN!! At least I would have another female in the group now.
Eventually we got going. The pace felt fast (but wasnt) and despite the cold morning it got hot very quickly. The blokes were all taking their shirts off by 6km mark and I dreaded the next 32km. However as we turned the bend and ran along Coro drive the wind picked up and the cool weather was back. Yah! It stayed gorgeous for the rest of the run.
We plodded along today at a good pace - starting out the first few at 5:30 pace and finishing up with sub 5km pace. Overall average of 5:00-5:05 pace for the run which I was very happy with. It didn't feel hard at all running up the hills today or even keeping the pace with Mark. I would have like to have pushed a bit in the middle of the run, though as the only other girl I did feel obligated to hold back and run with Tara when she wasn't feeling the best or wanted to stop and have a gu. She struggled until the 25km mark and then came good which was a relief. I was glad I did in hindsight as it meant I finished feeling really strong and not wasted like usual.
Definitely the fast pace (for a long long run) was doable due to the regular water breaks we had along the way - giving everyone a few sec's to catch their breath and recharge. (and stop their watches!!)
Coming up to 30km I felt bloody fantastic, just could have put my arms out and flew. It was a great feeling and I tried to visualise it so I could recall it at random when I needed to. It was just all happening for me and yet I didn't even look at my watch to see what we were doing or how we were travelling - I just was having fun and enjoying the run. Thanks largely to Mark (CR iliketoast) who ran with me and was very encouraging for me as well as being so positive about the run himself.
Mark and I both finished the 35km run strongly - he was 100m ahead of me at the finish though we were way in front of the others so I managed to drag him out with me to do the next 3km I was determined to get to (to make a 38km run).
It was a big struggle to get going again. I didn't like the thoughts in my head or the feeling in my legs but I guess that is just what it is going to be like in a marathon. Despite the internal struggle we did a further 3km running over the Goodwill bridge, through the city and around the gardens then back over the bridge. A solid pace of sub 5min. The 3km (according to Garmin) was reached halfway up the bridge on the way back and iliketoast was adamant that that was as far as his legs were carrying him so he just stopped and stretched them out walking. I kept going (but was really really looking forward to finishing. At the end I felt great. Endorphin rush was mad!! I was on a high and very excited about my longest every run. More importantly - no injuries and I felt great.
Big thanks to Mark who supported me - by encouraging me up Highgate Hill and running with me at the end. It really turned a great run into a fabulous achievement. Thanks Matey...you can run with me anyday (until you drop dead with a heart attack - really you have to stop pouring the butter on your toast!!!).
16 comments:
That really is a fabulous achievement. I'm so glad your training is all paying off.
Ha ha, were you dreading the next 32kms because the guys took their shirts off :-)))
Fantastic stuff Clairie, great confidence builder for Canberra and for the BRRC Half next week. I'm just sorry I wasn't there for your LONGEST RUN EVER, though not too sorry considering the pace you ran.
Wow, 38km that's fantastic especially as you still felt good at the end. Glad to hear your foot didn't develop into anything. Take care.
Have you stopped eating yet??? Thats a huge effort Clairie and what a pace! Your confidence must be building... well deserved!
Huge! 38k that is great, well done Clarie.
You must be getting pretty close to starting your taper weeks.
Another great training run.
Surely you must be thinking of lowering your goal time down from 3:40 you posted on the Canberra Marathon thread..
Wow. What an effort Clairie. Good on you for keeping the boys honest!
Yes, they are Wave Creations. Looking very clean at the moment compared to my old and slightly dirty Thorlos. I'll have to rectify that tomorrow morning :-)
OMG!! What a fantastic confidence booster hearing into the lawst few weeks of training! Well done!
Wooohooo! GO you! We thought of you this morning as we set off for Cootha from the regatta :) Great stuff!
Good on you Clairie. You are all set now..mind, body and spirit.
Sounds like you are in great shape if you can be feeling good after 30 km. Well done.
I'm with Robert. 3:20 marathon pace should feel pretty cruisey for you in cool Canberra.
Training for 800 and 1500 is quite specialised - you can't do it well if you're a marathoner.
By the way Clairie, I didn't think you could buy a jumper in Queensland!
You are on fire at the moment Clairie. That's a great long run. You will be certainly flying in Canberra. I'm glad I am pacing Luckylegs as I couldn't keep up with you.
Lets hope it is raining next Sunday for the BRRC Half Champs. That way I won't have to eat your dust!
WOW - what a great long run and fast too....
Well done Clairie ;-)
Post a Comment