I was all fired up this morning. I really wanted to do a good run and get as close to a PB as I could. I even entertained idea's of going sub 11:35.
As the crowd gathered at the Ship Inn I said to Tess I was off for a last minute dash to the loo, she said she'd come with me so off we headed on our warmup. We visited every loo in Southbank to find them all locked. Pretty desperate situation to be in really! I entertained ideas of using the loo under the GoodWill Bridge and even went inside but came straight out. Enough to make you ill. Drugs, syringes, mess and clothes all over the place. Even having Tesso guard outside was not enough to convince me to use them. I held on.
The race got underway after our warm up and I felt great for 100m. Then I felt really lethargic. I just could not get going. I was still running around others who would be doing 11.40'ish so I was happy but my energy was gone and I had to fight to not just stop and walk.
On the way back I really lost the plot and slowed down and just tried to encourage those around me. My heart wasn't in it at all. My legs felt ok and I was breathing well. No excuses really. I think mentally not being able to go to the loo made me grumpy. Tess caught up to me and was working towards her goal of going hard but not 120%. She was working hard on the last hill and I knew she had it in her to catch me so I kept calling out to her to come and get me....and she did. We crossed the line together in 12:15 and I was very miserable (but ecstatic for Tess who earnt her medal!). Before we started I had assumed I would be at the very least sub 12 today. I knew as I was running I wasn't going to do that but I was still disappointed to hear Pat say our time.
Okay race over.....what one's next?
6 comments:
12:15 - wrong! It wasn't that slow ... it was 12:14 :-)
Pleeeease don't be miserable. You really helped me hold it together for that last km. All I could think was how you would be disappointed in me if I didn't hang on. Even when I knew I had my goal of sub 12:20 in the bag I kept pushing hard right until the end because you were there encouraging me.
Thanks matey :-)
When's the next one? How about Saturday on the track!
Quite seriously, 4:30 am is no time to be running bloody time trials, in my ever so humble opinion. If it were my I wouldn't have just been grumpy I would have been, how shall I say this, incapacitated.
Don't worry too much, you can bounce back and hit a better time when the circumstances come together.
By the way, did you have a little sugar hit before running? I ocassionally do speed work in the morning, as you may be aware, and find that a tablespoon of honey before I head out the door works wonders.
I agree with Stephen in that everything has to come together for us to run a PB. I'm put off by the smallest things. The toilet situation would have stopped me from running full stop.
Nice to hear that when you knew you weren't going to get it you didn't give up and sulk, but helped those around you.
You are great Clairie it will not be long until you're PBing again.
Nuffin wrong with a 12.15 um 12.14...
Nice work Clairie ;-)
Good on you for turning a dud run into a good one by helping Tesso.
Yes, the track sounds good!
Clairie, the great thing about running is there is always another race. There will be plenty for you to smash in future. When you do, you will remember the not so good runs like today. It just makes the good runs that much sweeter.
Post a Comment