Sunday, November 05, 2006

I'm Glad I am a Runner

...and not a mountain biker. They are all so strong and intense and determined!! Totally out there as hard core endurance athletes...

Today was the 6Hr Mountain Bike Endurance about 90mins from Brisbane. Jodi Willet was contending so I was keen to get down there as soon as I could after my role as Race Director at Road Runners this morning.

The BRRC run was a 3 x 5km Relay - which was loads of run and it was good to be at the other end watching all the runners work hard. Tess's team won which I was doubly proud of!

I raced home then showered and headed out for a long drive with hubby.

It was hot out there and dirty and there was lots of tears and blood and vomiting.

See below photo - that's Jodi just after she finished.



Then just a few minutes later the cramps kick in and this was all you saw....



All that white stuff on her shorts is the salt from sweat! Man she did it tough out there today. I am so very proud. Out of 20 odd solo women (there were hundreds of teams) doing the six hour event she came third with lots of great (bike) prizes. How cool is she!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Strangely, that actually sounds like fun to me. The race I mean, not the cramps!

Thanks for your comment the other day. Penriff, sorry Penrith, is about an hour by car or train west of Sydney; at the base of the Blue Mountains. I have no excuse now not to get out on some trails!

Tesso said...

I'm glad you're a runner too :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend a Sunday: watching everybody else go through the agony and the ecstasy. I must try that some time.