Sunday, November 12, 2006

Weekend Racing

It's all good....because it's all over.

Friday I had to work so no gym and no running. Partied hard instead with my sister who flew in from Darwin.

Saturday
I met up with Tess and we braved embarressment by running in the 3000m at the Masters Monthly Track race. It was good to pick a low profile event to do my very first track race in. They are a great bunch of runners with a lot of respect for ANYONE giving it ago. I was very nervous beforehand but was assured of not coming in last when I saw a few of the other competitors whom I know are 7-8min/km runners.

Tess and I took off when the gun went off (so that's a good start I guess)....I was just following everyone else and went through the first line (200m) in my planned time. For the next few laps I suffered from the extreme heat and weirdness of running the track. I was on target time but this slowly moved out by a second or two each lap. The 5th lap I think I realised I was 20sec outside of my goal time so I increased the pace slightly...then the bell rang and Jonesy slapped my hand and I realised the bell was for me this time...so I dug deep and went very fast. I don't know what my last lap was but for someone slowing slightly each lap I made up a lot of lost time.

My goal was 12:00 but I ended up with 12:10. I was very disappointed with this but have since quietly accepted that it is a time I can work on. The track will see me back again - but I admit it is a much harder form of running that the road.

SUNDAY 15km
Again had something different on this morning - met up with Tess (for a change) and we did a 3.5km warm up which told me that I was exhausted and tiring easily. Our goal today was to pace Cassie to a 50min 10km. I thought that would be easy but after the warm up Tess and I were moaning to each other that it would be a tough day out there.
I raced to the loo and came down the hill just as they were firing the gun. I chased Tess and was looking around for Cassie. After the 1km mark I turned around and waited for Cassie but she was no-where so I sprinted hard back up to Tess and asked her what was going on - turns out whilst I was in the loo Cassie had said she was not up for it today due to all her racing and hence Tess was just doing her own thing. We ran for a km or so together before I realised Tess was in the groove with her music so I got a few metres in front and just sat there. Each km I worked on my breathing and trying to get the person in front of me. It was a good race but I was tired.
At just before 5km I passed a Marshall who told me my hubby was right on my tail...so I did the only right thing and accelerated further. I finished the race in 45:38 with a gutsy last km - (hubby had to pull out at 7km with ITB worries). So back to regular training for him.

I wonder why I was able to run well still despite the solid warmup and with racing all week. Funny how these things come about. I think without the mixup in the first km I would have ran close to 44mins today so I was happy with the end results of todays race. Heat forcasted all week so I am going to plan a few days of running at lunchtime.

7 comments:

Superflake said...

I guess you either go hard early and fade away at the end when the lactic builds up or go off slow and build into the race and look good passing runners at the end. According to Ewen the 3000m can be run hard as you don't go backwards too much if you get tired.

Tesso said...

You had a great last lap on Saturday. I reckon it was at least 5 or 6 seconds faster than you previous ones. That's not bad for 400m.

Practice makes perfect so maybe you should try the 10000m on Monday week when I'm on duty there :-)

I thought you were pacing the hubby to 50 mins when you weren't in front of me in the first km today. You ran a great time considering you weren't going flat out. And best of all you'll be fresh for a big week of training.

2P said...

Mate that is only a bit over 1 sec per lap difference - to hit your goal time within a second per lap is fantastic. AND if you had of got 12.00 you would have been disappointed you didn't get 11.59 :-)

Nice weekend of workouts Clairie.

Samurai Running said...

Hi Clairie

I've only ever run on the track in training, never in a race, but my impression is that 400m around the track seems a lot longer than 400m on the road. Well done for your first time. I'm interested to see how you go the next few times on the track at the same distance.

Toasty said...

Concerning news about Mr Clairie, hope he is ok

R2B said...

Nice run at the track Clairie sounds like you made up at least 10 seconds in the final lap if i read it right...86 second final lap.

3k races are great speed work for 10k and 5k especially and a lot easier than trying to do a manufactured speed session.

Nice first track race.
Cheers R2B

Rob said...

Next thing we know you will be challenging Casper in the 10000.

Well done Clairie. I think it would be good fun to race you on a track.