Thursday, November 09, 2006

RUNNING UP FRONT.....

Pat had a 50min run on the agenda this morning - he calls it a recovery run but a few of us tend to use it as a chance to get a tempo run done.

This morning was no different as we headed out from the Ship Inn towards New Farm Park. We got into a steady but comfortable pace early on so we were just able to keep up a conversation. Pat joined us and began to entertain us with some jokes and funny stories. Sure enough though he kept increasing the pace slightly so I was very keen for the turnaround to come.

We turned around just after 25mins and headed back. Tesso and Deborah got up front and kept each other going. Robbie had a bit of a chat with me and then moved past and joined the girls. They were soon specks on the horizon as I slowed with Scotty because we were both struggling towards the end.
Just over 10km and we were back at the start for the 1km race. I predicted 4min but thought I would be running a 5min now after pouring cement into the legs on the 10km.

However Toastie stuck 4 fingers up to me and urged me to join him. I figured what the hell....and we were off. I raced out hard and then for 200m felt totally shite. However I came good and actually felt quite comfortable. Obviously I was going very slow and was easing off a bit to feel like that. Then when I crossed the line Pat yelled 3:49 - ha! here I was thinking I was running slow when really I was running fast! Amazing your perception when you are tired. I was happy with the result but slowly made it up the hill and over the top to finish the session. No chance of running a long cooldown today. But I watched Tesso do it...does that count?

Followed the run with pancakes and fruit....mmmmm I love NO WATCH THURSDAYS.

11 comments:

2P said...

3.49 is a sizzling pace to end on CLairie - well done mate ;-)

miners said...

is it no-watch Thursday because the pancakes cause your wrist to expand so much they don't actually stay on?

like 2P said - nice pace :)

Tesso said...

This is a great session, even when there is no free brekky at the end. The only reason Deborah and I took off were Pat's jokes were so bad ;-)

Great work on the 1k. Next month I might nominate the same time as you. Then I'll tie a rope around you, strap on some roller skakes and hang on for dear life.

I haven't been game not to do the long cooldown ever since Matty rubbished me for skipping it. But don't worry, he'll never find out. Your secret is safe with me.

Stephen Lacey said...

Clairie, I said it to Tesso and I'll say it to you (because I have run out of original thoughts), it is always nice to learn you've been running much faster than you thought, EXCEPT at the 10k mark of a marathon. I am saying this more for my benefit than yours.

Toasty said...

You really did shoot off fast ..... took me sometime to catch up, that was fun. Next time I'll hold up 3 and a half fingers. Or I could try 3 next time we line up for a marathon. Perhaps that's what we need to do to break 3 hours?

Samurai Running said...

Great time Clairie. String a few of them together and your slashing your 3K PB.

Have you ever tried to see how fast you could run 1K? I wonder what your time would be. I was thinking that the week before my next 3KTT I would just race a 1K time and if I did it really fast it might give me confidence for a 3K PB effort.

Ewen said...

That's good speed at the end of a tempo run Clairie. A 3:49 could come in handy if you ever get to the 41k mark of a marathon in 2:55.

(That's also for Steve's benefit)

Unknown said...

I know how you felt going out too hard & feeling shite at 200m....only I don't usually come good as you did!

CJ said...

Pancakes and fruit - now thats the bit I like! You are fast, did you know that!!!!
Have a great weekend! Goo dluck fo rthe 3,000m -I'm sure both you and tesso will do really well.

Jen said...

Of course it counts!

Anyway, any run that ends with pancakes & fruit is a great one!

TD said...

3.49 is very, very zippy, Clairie. And interesting what you said, too, about perceptions of speed. I really can't understand the mechanics of this running caper of ours sometimes.