Monday, August 29, 2005

Back in Hometown

Isn't it the bestest thing to get back home and sleep in your own bed? Oh well that is if you can sleep!! I got in after 1am and had to be at work at 6am this morning. So I am a little bleary eyed today.

Had a great time yesterday in the Perth City to Surf. There were SO MANY people! Amazing. I got up the frontish before the start and met up with Spot - which was just great to see a familiar face among the crowd. The run itself was good and I will be keen to do it again next year though I did nowhere near what I had hoped for. It was raining hard the whole way and my clothes were soaked through but I was still smiling.

I went out hard and was doing a good pace going up all the hills but at the 8km mark I dropped to over 5min/km and was hard pressed to keep my legs going. I was really enjoying the crowd and listening to my music but the damage was done and I was just wanting to finish.
The finish is on an oval and I heard/saw the finish line just after the 11km mark. I pulled up a gear and ran for it, though I didn't realise you had to run AROUND the oval to get to the finish line so I ended up having to sustain my sprint finish for nearly a km!!! Nearly killed me. Did last km in 3:54 which I was happy with, even if it felt like 2:54. :)

Spot was waiting for me at the finish, he didn't do as well as he hoped (he had just won a 100km relay event a few days before!!!) and said the course was tougher and hillier than he thought, so that made me feel better about my 56min time.

The medallions were fantastic and I cheekily wore mine home on the plane. My beautiful neice saw it and decided I had come second (it was silver) so I gave her an extra hug before I left.

6 comments:

Tesso said...

Welcome back Clairie!!!

miners said...

Hey jetsetter! Fantastic race report. Isn't CR amazing how you can link up with someone so easily on the other side of the country!

Katie said...

I agree.. your own bed is unbeatable! Sounds like you had a great day... well done on a great effort! Great race report

CJ said...

I originally come from WA but have never done the City to Surf there before. However, it is on my list of runs to do - that or Perth Marathon. Great race report and well done.

Cirque said...

Welcome Home Clairie. Sleep well.

Hannah said...

Welcome home dude and happy birthday!