It was my intention to run from the finish of the Bridge to Brisbane to the Regatta for breaky but it turned out that we drove to breaky and after cooling down I didn't feel like a long run. I had a sore blistered toe that was bothering me too.
After breaky we went home, then showered and headed out for some shopping. Got home and made hubby lunch then decided to go and do a run now at 2pm before lunch (to see if no fuel would be good). It was great that Tesso had loaned me her Garmin 201 Forerunner so I had a new toy to play with.
Off I set and the first km I kept thinking "WTF are you doing??" My foot was sore, my quads were sore, my left calf was tight and I had a headache. But after two massive hills they all got sorted out and I was flying along. The garmin kept saying different paces and I was always looking at it - very distracting but took the mind of the pain.
I stopped for a drink at 4:85km at a park and then started up a steep hill on the way home. I decided I was not up to 15km so would just circle the golf club and go home.
At around 7km I had a brain meltdown. I felt strong, legs were ticking over and breathing was well under control. It was hot and I was very sweaty. I felt alive and exhausted. This is what elite athletes do. Run twice a day, put their bodies through extreme measures to fine tune their systems. I was telling myself this would make me a better runner to copy what the elites do...and I felt my body get a resurgence of strength just thinking about it. Though at the same time, I think it was because the planned 15km had been cut short to 11km and I was happy to be on the home stretch.
To entice me to run fast I had my fuel belt on with 3 square of cadbury dairy milk tucked away. I told myself I could eat them when I got to the school oval (approx 8.5km). After finally getting there with a teeny show of a shuffle towards the end I devoured my squares and drank a gallon of water. Did a few stretches and then headed off for home with 2.5km to go. The last km to home is very hilly but I think this was better for my legs at this stage than just running on the flat.
I got home and was in loads of pain. I took my shoes and socks and Garmin off and hopped in the pool. Blimey! 16oC!!! The pain immediately went away and was replaced with numbness. I stayed in for 4mins - the longest I could bear and jumped out for a hot shower.
The little blister I had earlier had now progressed to a 10cent blood blister (covering my whole big tow) and I could barely walk but still, I was happy with my efforts.
I felt so good after my shower, totally invincible and went looking for the remaining 47 squares of chocolate. *mmmmmmm*
6 comments:
Only a female would know how many squares of chocolate there are in a Cadbury's block ;)
anything that enables you to eat 47+3squares guilt free sounds good to me!! Well done :)
Good on ya Clairie, getting out for your second run of the day. Sounds like you are already in training for Canberra 2006 ;-)
But I know exactly how you were feeling mid run. I was like that Saturday when the rest of the gang sat down for brekky after 10 or 11k and I continued on my own to finish my long run. Only I never snapped out of that hungry, bored, sore feeling. Must remember to take the chocky next time :-)
Hope the blister is not too bad, we have our favourite session at Pat's in the morning - hills!!!!
Wow Clairie, you really are becoming invincible. Is this the same girl that had an injury a couple of weeks ago?
Well done!
Steady on, Love! Two runs in one day? *grins* are you nuts? LOL! (wait, don't answer that ;)
Seriously though, good on you :) fab effort!
Steady on, Love! Two runs in one day? *grins* are you nuts? LOL! (wait, don't answer that ;)
Seriously though, good on you :) fab effort!
Post a Comment