My family would have to be the most tolerant around.
I got them all up at 4.30am this morning to go out for a day on the beach! We got there super early (like 5:50) for the scheduled 6:30am run. I thought for some reason there would be more traffic at that time :)
Anyhow hubby and the kids just plonked down and fell asleep in the sand whilst I waited for all the other crew to arrive.
Spot on 6:30am they all turned up and off we went.
5min hard sand, 5min soft sand, 5min water running REPEAT X3
It was a very solid 45min workout. Due to some fishermen at one end of the beach we had to stretch the final soft sand run out to 7min - which was just torture.
Aside from that I felt great the whole way. I have no idea of pace but I was certainly far behind the lead pack of elite runners without being the last runner. I think I had told myself today would be really hard so it was easier than expected - making it mentally easier to get through. I work well when I build up the run to be a tough one and it turns out to be not-so-tough. Makes me feel better as well when I finish in one piece instead of 50zillion.
We then went swimming with a number of other runners from the Running Buddies (who had done a 12km run on the road instead of the beach run). It was magic to have the cool water and loosen up the legs after such a gruelling run. I am sure it made me recover quickly from the effort of the morning.
Got the skins on within 40min afterwards and have been wearing them for most of today. I am sure everyone at Pacific Fair thought I was an olympian walking around with my running sunnies, skins on and nike shirt shopping with the kids. hee hee
Oh and I got a bargain at Rebel Sport who had their winter gear on sale today. Great trackies for only $20 - down from $89.99!!! and their Nike and Puma shorts were all only $10. Hard to get my size so I could only get one pair... oh well at least I walked out really happy with what I got.
Now I am really really looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. A lot of quality sessions this week again, culminating in a 32km run on Saturday. SCARY STUFF!!!!
8 comments:
Great session Clairie, most people don't even contemplate running on sand. Good variety, sounded like a tough one, Damn fisherman. That water would have felt awesome afterwards. Enjoy you rest.
Good work out Clairie!!1 Sand running is tough- very different on the legs and feet! I swam after our long run today.... sooo nice on the legs!
Youch, my calves are hurting just thinking about what you did! I've hear from the others about hard hard these sessions are. The 32k on Saturday will probably seem easy in comparison.
So well done. And well done on the shopping too!
That is one big weekend Clarie - well done!
I hate sand - I have square feet and I sink :-(
I like running on hard sand, soft sand er ... not so much. Well done on the shorts. I couldn't find any running shorts at the sales in the size and colour I wanted :(
ouch... I did a few K's when on the sand when I was down at Broadbeach last month, you sure do feel like you're getting a good work out. Seems like you're having a very impressive time at the moment, well done :)
Just reassure me that there is still 12 weeks to go. You sound like you are about ready to taper, I won't be ready for a 32 K for awhile yet.
Wow. Ouch. What a tough session. Nice work :-)
Post a Comment