Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hill Session with a new Twist

OK so finally I got up early enough to make it to the session that starts at 5:40am!!

Was there in time to greet all the newcomers and make my way out on the warm up with the first group. We had a new warmup to do today (thanks Pat!) and went over the Goodwill Bridge through the gardens loop around Riverside Centre and back to the gardens.

After the usual strides to warm the legs it was all on. I felt really strong on the hills but I think this is mainly because I was taking full advantage of the recovery on the way down. Tess and I were playing our usual game of catch but she was zooming past me on the downhills and I was sometimes catching her on the uphills.
How on earth does someone run fast THE WHOLE SESSION. She was going just as fast going up as going down. I had to get up and then breathe like an elephant to recover and attack the next hill.
I cut one of my recoveries short just so I could jostle with Tess and Phil (they had already turned around to go back up the hill). It was fun and I don't recall ever thinking of a speed session as fun before......

It was a very rewarding session as I felt strong throughout and didn't ease off like I may have done this time last year. In fact I was keen to do a few more when we finished (ok so I am lying to you all now...).
The best bit was seeing how Andy and Anna have really improved on their hills recently and were stronger and doing more efforts than in earlier months.
WELL DONE guys.

Tesso you are going to rock in Caboolture~~~!!!!!

3 comments:

Toasty said...

I don't ever recall a speed session being fun .... finishing a speed session, maybe!

Tesso said...

What's this 'sometimes catching her on the uphills'! You well and truly got me on all of them bar one, and I think you got distracted on it because you were busy egging on others.

It was a great morning for sure, one of those where you really work off the others in the group. And as you say, fun.

Now you know why its my favourie Pat session :-)

2P said...

Yikes - A session that starts at 5:40am! Good thing hill sessions are fun otherwise you might be tempted to stay in bed :-)

Sounds like a fantastic workout Clarie.