Friday, January 20, 2006

Song for the Lonely.......

I found my song.

You know the one I am talking about - the one that picks you up when you are low on energy and gives you great vibes and makes the legs turn over at supernatural speed.

I listened to it Wednesday on the last few km and it helped bring me home. Then today I tried it again and when I was 2km out I turned up the volume and put it on. Ended up doing a 4:22km and didn't really feel it! I was wrapped.

Also the words just hit home when you are out there slogging it out on your own.

Perfect song for the end of the marathon. I will have to work out how to put it on my ipod to play at the 3:30hr mark. Just when I will desperately need something to get me through the next 5/10/15/20mins.
This mornings run was 8km differential - I went out in 19:48 (4km) and came home in 17:48 (4km).

The song is Cher's "SONG FOR THE LONELY" and it is written for running :)

I found "my" song. What's your song?

9 comments:

Katie said...

Easy... "Don't stop me now" Queen! Works every time! Heaps of others... but that one tops my list- a bit corny I know :-)

miners said...

"Bug Powder Dust" by Bomb the Bass

But "Links 2-3-4" by Rammstein is pretty good to keep the legs going too.

Cher and Queen have me thinking of a few other things other than running I'm afraid.

2P said...

I'm more a mantra kind of guy....

Jen said...

I have two songs. Greedy I know.

Dancing Queen by ABBA. The only problem is that I have try not to boogy while running.

Bootylicious by Destiny Child.

:-)

Tesso said...

I have squillions!

During this morning's run I listened to some of my latest downloads. Included were ....

"Juicebox" by The Strokes (from their latest album), a must for my next race compilation.

"Let Me Be" by Xavier Rudd. Very cruisey - good Caboolture music :-)

Embarrassingly "Born To Be Alive" by Patick Hernandez is an all time favourite and always gets me going ... don't tell anyone but ;-)

Hannah said...

"Breathe" by the Prodigy - the most perfect TT song ever invented I think :) Now all I have to do is get my mp3 player fixed so I can play it! Anything by the Chemical brothers rocks, too :)

I like that song by Cher, too :)

Cirque said...

Hey Clairie, I have a few, too.

'Lifted' or 'High' by the Lighthouse Family;

'Days like these' by the Cat Empire;

'Get Off' by the Dandy Warhols

but my most embarrassing....
(Gosh - the things I confess to CRs)
is 'Tubthumping' by Chumbawamba. Who wouldn't be inspired by having "I get knocked down, but I get up again" pumped into their headphones at the crucial moment?

Thanks for this Clairie - I'd forgotten how much this music helps!

the_en4cer said...

Hannah is on the right track! I find 'Galvanize' by the Chemical Brothers to be an awesome song to get you going when you've got nothing left in the tank. You can't help but run fast when you hear it - if you're not careful you'll also find yourself shadow boxing and running while its playing :)

A couple of others:
'Lift Me Up' or 'Bodyrock' by Moby
'Take Me Out' by Franz Ferdinand

Matty said...

No songs for me Clairie!!!

I just visualise Deek finishing strongly at Brisbane 82, Helsinki 83, Rotterdam 83 or Boston 86. Likewise, Pat winning the 97 GC Marathon. I have watched these tapes over and over again and they are embedded in my memory.

I can visualise those strong finishes at the end of a 2hr run in 35 deg heat and get goose bumps - I kid you not!!!! Try it sometime!!

M