Saturday, January 07, 2006

Long Run - 30km Running Buddies

Mileage: 30km
Pace: 5:25 average
Time: 2:42:50


It was a very early start this morning. I went to bed last night at 9pm, which was just as well. I had to be up at 3:30 this morning in time to get ready and speed into town to meet everyone at the Regatta for a 4:30am start.

The idea was to do most of the long run out of the hot weather. As it turned out the day was overcast with mild heat but still some humidity. It was what I would term - Perfect Running Weather for Brissy. I could not have asked for a better day to do a 30km run on in the middle of summer.

We ran from the Regatta out to Indoroopilly around to Yeronga then through West End and over the Goodwill Bridge at Southbank to then finish off along the river back out to the Regatta. The garmin said 30km and my legs said 30km. I could not believe how good I was feeling, I only needed one gu at the 1hr mark but never felt the need to take anything else afterwards though I was rationing my weak solution of endura towards the end for the last 4km stretch.
Totally amazing. Even now I don't feel like I did such a long run this morning. Must be the pineapple frappe we had afterwards (thanks Tess!) doing its wonders :)

We had 9 starters with two finishers at the 25km mark so I think a great turnout considering the time of day we started. Certainlythe run was more pleasant and easy to finish beause of all the chatting and laughing we accomplished along the way.
We even managed to design our own Endurance Bar. Will be chocolate, with nuts, caramel, cookie bits, marshmellow bits and umm lots more. We are going to call it the Min Bar after Minion who is an ultra woman (who works for Nestle and will be sure to pass our recipe on hee hee).

I am hoping to maintain my long runs at this distance or thereabouts so no pain to day bodes well for my marathon journey. Don't get me wrong - I was VERY VERY happy to finish today, and in awe of anyone who has managed to run a further 12.2km. It was very daunting having Phil say when we finished "another hour of running and that will be canberra.." Damn you Phil!! Totally wiped me out after hearing that.

Focus now is on the time trial on Tuesday with no running but some weights in between.

I hope to do 12:10. Secretly I would love to do 11:40 but ha ha ha I know that is a few months off just yet. Gotta have those goals though don't you!
Maybe for this week I can just hope to keep Phil off my shoulder for one more month. Won't be long before he is zooming past me.

Righto off to get out of these skins to see if my legs are up to some housework :)

8 comments:

Cirque said...

I'm glad to hear you're running so strongly Clairie. Isn't the weather so much better at the moment?

Stu Mac said...

Clairie, it just past 4.30pm and I bet you are one very tired lady...3.30am!!!

Great stuff & congrats on the training run, 30k's reminds me why I am not doing another marathon in the near future!

Toasty said...

I'll give one of those Min Bars a go.

Well done of the River loop.

Jen said...

That Endurance Bar sounds yum-o; put me down for a box of them!

Congratulations on such a strong run Clairie. A big confidence boost no doubt, well done !

Tesso said...

What a fantastic run that was Clairie! We do long runs most weekends but some really stick in the memory banks, and this will be one of them. Don't think we could've asked for better conditions, or better company.

Not only did you run well the whole way, but you had something left to finish strongly, with our last 4 kms being our fastest.

Told ya this marathon training was gonna be fun :-)

Chelle said...

Well done Clairie, thats awesome running, keep up the good work and you'll be flying through Canberra!

Dave said...

Well done Clairie, a great run to have under the belt and excellent pacing. Keep that sort of training up and you'll have a great debut at Canberra.

Ewen said...

4.30am! I'll never complain about 7am starts again!

That was a great run Clairie - keep those going and you'll be brilliant in Canberra.