Thursday, January 19, 2006

Toughest Session Ever!!!

I knew this morning would be tough, but I just didn't expect to be in so much pain.

I tackled the hill as best as I could after a 10min warm up.

I felt great until 1/3 of the way in when my legs started to turn to jelly. I kept going, then my chest was hurting. Still going, then I started having an asthma attack (btw I don't have asthma), more progression and then I got just near the top and my whole body cramped at the same time. WTF? I have no idea but I just hurt. I managed to make it and looking at my time of 4:18 I did heaps better than last week. My HR has a max of 189 (this is age formula and fitness test derived). I did 213 going up the hill....so yes I should have stopped and walked it.

When turning to go down after catching my breath my legs would barely hold me. They were liquid. I took it very slowly and went down hugging trees along the way (it is that steep you have to run into a tree to stop yourself falling over).

The next rep I was much slower on but it hurt worse. I would have in fact stopped and walked if Chris had not been standing at the top yelling out encouragement. He was watching our form - so it was not really the best time to say Stuff this hill shit I'm walking.... I made it to the top - barely and then went straight down.

I don't know why today was so much harder than last week. Same hill, same shoes. At the end of the session I did a body check and realised that my earlobes were in fact not aching - so I can't say I hurt 'all over'....but I got close *grins*

7 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, that's a nasty hill - which one was it!

I'm glad to hear that your earlobes didn't hurt. Can't have been that tough a session then ;-)
*kidding*

miners said...

Lordy! It's been a long time since I've pushed myself like that. You're lucky the HRM didn't just pop off

2P said...

Gee Clarie - now you have me all excited ;-) That hill sounds great!

Tesso said...

Hills are our friends :-) But although that particular hill may be your friend, I have no desire to even become aquainted with it.

Toasty said...

no need to introduce me to that so called friend ... not sure I'm with Tesso on that one

Cirque said...

I can't believe you kept going when you felt that way, Clairie. I would definitely have been one of the "stuff this hill shit" brigade. I guess that's why you're on the way to a marathon and I'm not....:(.
You are one tough chicky!!!

Shane said...

OUCH! Im suprised you were even upright let alone throwing obscenities about :)