Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tesso's Speed Session - careful this is a tough one!

It has taken me this long just to get the energy to type this!

Damn Coach Tesso had me running for my life this morning. I had a program done which said 12km at 5:45 pace.
Tesso said "it's an error it means 4:45 pace" and I agreed with her. hee hee. The evils of self interpretation!!

So off we set at 6am and burned our way past the group who were all running rather conservatively compared to us (doh! hindsight is a good thing...) when at the 1.2km mark I realised my wedding ring had dropped off. OMG I was in a fuss when Tesso said 'that's it lets go back'. Bless her cotton sox, there we were running along coro drive eyes to the ground going left to right (doding bikes) and stopping all the walkers.
I did miraculously find it on the road next to my car. I can only imagine it came off when I was strapping on my watch with the amount of sunscreen I had put on earlier my hand must have been very slippery. Anyone that has seen my hands will know that my knuckles are huge and highly sought after by butchers and the game industry (do you remember playing knucklebones???).
So ring back on, we headed out (AGAIN) and this time the pace felt much better but was in fact faster at 4:43 pace. Weird how a warmup makes all the difference.

We pushed ourselves and barely spoke for the next few km and at the 7km mark I confessed that I could not keep up and would be turning around (it was 5km back to the Regatta so a perfect 12km route). Tess forged ahead and met me later at the Regatta having done her 17km for the day.

We were both the picture of UGLY with red faces, sweat pouring out of every pore and no energy to even smile.
Thankfully after a shower and re-fueling I felt much better and has the day has progressed I am feeling okay about the run.

The one thing that has us both baffled is we were struggling to do 4:45 pace when I have done that for a half marathon and Tess does that pace for her marathon. Not to mention recent training runs has seen us do 18km at 4:50 pace quite easily - (in retrospect to todays effort of course).

I can only assume the weather really does take that much out of you. It was humid and hot this morning.

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Ha ha, I thought it was YOUR idea to do 4:45 pace :-)

Sure was a tough morning out there - how wrecked were we at the end! At least we learnt one lesson, the value of the warm-up. Though on a day like today it would be more a hot-up than a warm-up.

Oh, and I haven't done an entire marathon at that pace. But that's the goal :-)

2P said...

Sounds like a tough session Clarie - that 30k loop looked pretty good too ;-)

Thanks for your nice comments on my blog recently.

Cheers, 2P

PS I like the new look on the blog :-)

2P said...

Sounds like a tough session Clarie - that 30k loop looked pretty good too ;-)

Thanks for your nice comments on my blog recently.

Cheers, 2P

PS I like the new look on the blog :-)

Toasty said...

You are training ... it is not a race .... there is no hype and all that race stuff .... 4:45 is quick for a training run....... really quick!

Stu Mac said...

I would imagine the pace was hard to keep due to weather and previous days activities....

well done on the session but!

Cirque said...

I'm really glad you found the ring!

Shane said...

Phew, glad you found your ring. Scary moment, your heart would have been pumping like you were doing a sprint for the entire time looking for it. That is probaly the reason you felt buggered :)

Good run though, you are doing well in the lead to Canberra

Shane said...

I meant 'lead up'...