Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Midweek Run

Nothing very exciting today - just did 12km from the Regatta and through the Botanical Gardens out to Southbank via Goodwill and back to Regatta over Queen Victoria Bridge.

59mins and 01 seconds. Quite happy with that overall but I was doing fartlek so mostly slow with a few 4:30min kms that helped to bring the overall time down.

PS. I might get better at running but I am crap at pacing. I think I am getting worse!! I feel I am going slow when I am not and I feel I am sprinting when I am only doing a moderate pace. I don't know how to improve this but if anyone had any tips...MUCH APPRECIATED

4 comments:

miners said...

You're right Clairie - pacing simply is the hardest part about running. And the trouble is, while you're in a phase of getting stronger and faster like you have been over recent months, it's all the more difficult.

It won't be until you (unfortunately) plateau to some extent, that you'll start to gain any real confidence in knowing exactly how fast you're going - or how to keep yourself in check as you need.

The best advice I could give would be to repeat known/marked courses daily/weekly until you're totally familiar with the km marks and simply keep an eye on time as you pass through. You'd really have to be doing this running alone however. Running in groups is GREAT for training, but usually counter-productive to finding your "true" pace.

Of course, you could just get yourself a garmin! :)

Tesso said...

Maybe you could try running at different heart rate levels (eg 70%, 80%) and see how long a km takes with each. I wonder if you'd notice some consistency in the results.

Toasty said...

I was contemplating this very subject today ... well sort of ... and I have theory .... mind you i haven't read or talked to anyone about this so could be complete and utter crap ... but anyway i feel i can pass this one on ... i noticed today that it's my legs that i need to tune in on, to be in touch with my speed ... brilliant ... i know! ... what i was doing was being more aware of my breathing and how i was feeling to gauge speed and have found these two factors very misleading ... so today, i felt ordinary but by concentrating on legs alone i did alright

Katie said...

Practice! I am also crap at this.. a real skill! That hill sounds nasty!!!