Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Time Trial - 3km

What a disaster.

After little sleep - thanks to a late night session at the movies - I was up early and off to Pats.
I got there early at 5.30am but could not find a toilet so had to go up and down searching for one. I finally got to Pats at 5:45 but the first group had already left *tears* so I had to run with the A team and they were way way too fast for me.

I dropped my water off at the finish and kept pace with them to the start line 1km away (it is a 1km route we run down, up then down again).
By the time I got to the start I was exhausted and the humidity had me sweating bucketloads. I tried to do the strides but had to rest and stretch on the second last one (to get my breath) and then did the final one 100%.

The race started without much fanfare and it was off. I aimed for 12:15 taking into account all factors - weather, exhaustion and the long run on Saturday. However I then decided to do the first 2km as a race and didn't fuss much about what I did on the third km. I won't do that again because as soon as I got to the turnaround for the final km my legs wouldn't budge and said 'stuff it you said I could stop now'.
I plodded and let others pass me for 300m but then decided to finish it off and picked up the pace. I think I managed a decent sprint for the final 200m.

Final result - 12:09
I am happy with my time but really unhappy with how I felt during the run. It was hard and my motivation was really lacking - most of the way but especially in the last km.

500m Splits:
1:53
2:01
2:01
2:06
2:09
1:59

7 comments:

Toasty said...

It's still a good time ... even if you didn't feel that good. Which is probably a better result than if you were pumped up.

Matty said...

Hey, isn't there supposed to be a tropical cyclone Clare on a path of destruction somewhere? I was hoping that you could do likewise this AM Clairie :) After reading your entry, I was thinking you would be more than 30 secs off your PB, so 16 secs off is not to bad. Good to see elsewhere that Aaron and Glenda were back today.

Tesso said...

Claaaiiirrrie, that was NOT a disaster! How could it be when you did your best.

I checked the Met Bureau site and it was 93 degrees humidity when we set off! And you did a super fast warm-up. We can't run PBs all the time ... though I think you did a warm-up PB :-)

Also you provided so much encouragement for those around you who were chasing you or trying to keep away from you. You got Tara stirred up at the end. And Keith. And when you put on the sprint in the last 200m so did I, I was determined not to let you get any further in front.

So no, not a disaster. At least not for those of us you helped :-)

Dave said...

I reckon if you can knock out a 12:09 after aiming for 12:15 with everything taken into account and a demotivated 3rd km imagine what will happen on a good day when all the planets are in alignment!!!

Katie said...

Hey don't be too hard on yourself... if ypu can do 12:09 in 93% humidity thats impressive! I hate those runs though when your brain just wants to stop and sit down... good on you for ignoring it! that will help in Canberra!

Stu Mac said...

12:09, what would you have done at the same time last year a couple of days after a 30k run???

miners said...

Heya Clairie! Great to see you still burning up the tarmac despite the long-promised goal of the marathon year for 2006. Especially amazing to see you backing up so well after another of your big runs mate.

(love the new look blog too btw)