Thursday, January 05, 2006

SPEED DEMON

First serious Pat session for the year this morning. We had to do 3 x 1km repeats with 90sec rest. Then 2 x 500m with 60sec rest.

I went out hard but it felt easy (only until the first 500m mark). Got there in 1:50 and was shocked. Did the following times for the intervals:

1km 3:50
1km 3:53
1km 3:56
500m 2:05 (this one hurt)
500m 1:45 (I almost vomited, this was by far a big big effort from me)

I had the full rest in between reps which I think really helped refresh me for the next rep.

I was really happy with this mornings efforts and in January to be running so well was a boost for me mentally especially after having some time off over Christmas break when everyone else I knew was running!!!
I daresay the rest actually is what has made me more motivated and stronger as a runner.

Time will tell when I do my 3hr run on Saturday with Tess. We are starting at 4:30am to beat the heat. I am apprehensive about how I will go but still it will be a good time to test out some nutrition and the legs of course :)

7 comments:

Tamyka Bell said...

Enjoy your long run this Saturday. I am certain it is your rest that has freshened you up - we all know recovery is what makes us run faster! (Still, to have legs that work at a first speedwork session back - that's something I've only ever dreamed of. I am dreading my return to speedwork.)

Shane said...

They are great times, especially after time off. I know how you feel when you know there are friends out there doing the training and your not. It definately increases the motivation.

Good luck for Saturday, im sure you will be fine, I look forward to reading about the lead up to Canberra. :)

Tesso said...

Great work this morning Clairie! And how's that final 500m - yikes!!! I reckon you must've been doing secret training in Perth ;-)

But none of this speed demon stuff Saturday hey!

Toasty said...

I'll be at Straddie on Saturday otherwise I wouldn't miss the chance for the river loop. Have fun!

Katie said...

Great times clairie!!! Keep that up and you will do an awesome time in Canberra!! I agree with you rest is just as important in training... but usually neglected! I can't wait to follow your progress to Canberra! I must also send in my entry!

Stu Mac said...

Clairie, well done on the sess! Starting at 4:30am means you are crazyyyyyyyyyyyy!

have a good one!

Unknown said...

A great start to 2006, Clairie, & seems like you'll be in great shape for Canberra marathon!