Sunday, November 14, 2004

The Ultimate Motivator

After a rest day yesterday I was fully geared up to do a good run today.
I decided in preparation for Kurrawa to go out in the hottest time of the day in full race kit - sunscreen, hat and water bottle. Hubby came along for the exercise but stopped short on the last hill for fear of bringing on a heart attack.
Started at our house and went down the hill just warming up. Moved up the pace at the lights and covered the big hill in just over two minutes. Kept the pace up for the next 3km then attacked the third hill with double effort. Felt the lungs burning on this one and started hallucinating..face was bright red and I could feel it burning from inside out along with my lungs. Still felt like I was pumping so after slowing the pace to allow hubby to catch up (then realised he was never going to) I hit the next hill at a steady pace. Started to conserve engery on the downhill before remembering Tess's advice to go hard downhill 'like kids do'. It was time for the final hill before home and I was exhausted, hot and hot and hot!!! It was 30oC and lots of humidity. No leaves were moving on the trees and there was no shade. The heat was also coming up off the bitumen and there was not a dry piece of skin or clothing on me. My head was even hot (maybe should wear a cap during Kurrawa?).
The last hill is always the hardest - not sure about gradient but it is extremely steep. Nonetheless I could feel Hubby behind me so I DUG DEEP and plowed to the top of this one. Turned around and saw hubby walking....aaah the pleasures of life. Fell into the pool and did a few laps but it took at least an hour for the internals to cool down and the red face to subside.
I really felt like a runner today.

No comments: